Paul

Paul

SMILEYSKULL

SMILEYSKULL
Half the story is a dangerous thing

DISCLAIMER

All content on this blog is the copyright © of Paul Murray (unless noted otherwise / reposts etc.) and the intellectual property is owned by him, however, the purpose of this forum is to share the content with all who dare to venture here.
The subject matter is adult in nature so those who are easily offended, misunderstand satire, or are generally too uptight to have a good time or even like who they are, it's probably a good idea to leave now.
Enjoy responsibly...

Friday 15 October 2010

NOTES FROM MUD ISLAND PART 2

Sunday 5th September

Thanks for the heads-up Lana - I get it. But the rambling would have been what it was in any event so this thread may continue with some more meandering unless I keep the UK journal via my notes - I don't really care being on holiday and all.
Obtained some interesting perspectives on England from a few Seffrican/Zimbabwean imports last night - people who've been here for between 2 - 15 years and it's an immutable truism that people's impressions are shaped by their personal circumstances regardless of the country they're in or the customs into which they're immersed.
The short-termer whose circumstances were much harder than the others I spoke to, had a far more critical view of the place than those who "had it better" both personally and financially. And as my fantastically psychotic sister-in-law observed so sagely: anyone who is stressing financially will find it hard to enjoy life no matter where they are.
And that is so true.
My own impressions (after 2 days!) - too early to tell and I haven't really had any interaction with the locals other than people in shops and cafes etc. and, just like in South Africa, I find that people respond to me depending upon my own mood and approach - in other words, they've been absolutely great.
And the stuttering light of morning has dawned into the more familiar drizzly grey weather of Beatles' I Am The Walrus reflection:
Sitting in an English garden waiting for the sun
If the sun don't come
You get a tan from standing in the English rain
I am the eggman, they are the eggmen
I am the walrus,
goo goo goo joob
goo goo goo joob

And on that profound pearl of wisdom - goo goo goo joob, folks

No comments: